Victorian London - Buildings, Monuments and Museums - The Obelisk, Blackfriars Road

OBELISK (THE), BLACKFRIARS ROAD, stands in a centre where five roads meet, and was erected in the year 1771, in honour of Brass Crossby, Esq., who, while Lord Mayor of London, (1771), was confined in the Tower for releasing a printer, seized, contrary to law, by the House of Commons, and for committing the Messenger of the House to prison.

Peter Cunningham, Hand-Book of London, 1850