We go down St. James' Street, and reach the point where it joins Pall
Mall; there we stand, in front of St. James' Palace, an old black and rambling
building, with no interest, except what it derives from the past; and even in
the past, it was considered as a mere appendage to Whitehall; and only after
Whitehall was burned down, did St. James' Palace become the real seat of
royalty; and it continued to be so until George IV. took up his residence at
Buckingham Palace. At the present day, the old palace is used for court
ceremonies only; the Queen holds her levees and drawing- rooms in it. In
the three large saloons there are, on such - occasions, crowds of people who
have the entrťe, in full dress, and great splendour, thronging round the
throne, which is ornamented with a canopy of red velvet, and a gold star and
crown. The walls are decorated with pictures of the battles of Waterloo and
Vittoria; in the back-ground are the Queen's apartments, where she receives her
ministers. The anti-chambers are filled with yeomen of the guard, and court
officials of every description. In the court-yard are the state-carriages of --
the nobility; and the streets around the park are thronged with crowds of
These are the moments when that gloomy building is lighted up with the splendour of modern royalty; at all other times, night and day, red grenadiers pace to and fro in front of the dark walls. The court-yards are given up to the gambols of birds, cats, and children; but every morning, a military band of music plays in the colour court.
Max Schlesinger, Saunterings in and about London, 1853
St. Jamesís Palace is the oldest of the royal establishments in London, but has long since ceased to be used by royalty for any but ceremonial purposes. Of late years its cramped and inconvenient rooms have been found highly impracticable for the more important of those functions, and Her Majestyís drawing-rooms have been removed to Buckingham Palace, where the fight for priority of admission to the royal presence is not embittered by quite such close packing, and Her Majestyís lieges are enabled to preserve their toilettes in comparatively sound condition even to the exit. Levees, however, still continue to be held at St. Jamesís, and this is the only use to which the palace as such is now put, though custom still recognises it as the head-quarters of English royalty, and the English court is always diplomatically referred to as the court of St. Jamesís. A considerable portion of the palace is now appropriated to the use of various persons to whom Her Majesty has been pleased to assign accommodation. NEAREST Railway Station, St. Jamesís-park; Omnibus Routes, Piccadilly, Regent-street, and Strand; Cab Rank, St. Jamesís-street.
Charles Dickens (Jr.), Dickens's Dictionary of London, 1879
ST. JAMES'S PALACE, PALL MALL ... Originally an hospital, which was purchased by Henry VIII, who altered and rebuilt it. Here are held the State Levees. In the Colour Court of the Palace the band of the Guards plays every morning at eleven. Admission to the Palace by the Lord Chamberlain's order.
Reynolds' Shilling Coloured Map of London, 1895
see also George Sala in London Up to Date - click here
George Birch, The Descriptive Album of London, c.1896Victorian London - Publications - History - The Queen's London : a Pictorial and Descriptive Record of the Streets, Buildings, Parks and Scenery of the Great Metropolis, 1896 - The New Royal College of Music / The Gateway, St. James's Palace
THE NEW ROYAL COLLEGE OF MUSIC.
In May, 1894, the Prince of Wales opened in state the new building of the Royal College of Music. It is situated in Prince Consort Road, to the south of the Royal Albert Hall. Red in colour, Elizabethan in style, the College which was built out of funds provided by Mr. Samson Fox, has accommodation for four hundred pupils, Dr. Hubert Parry being the Director.
THE GATEWAY, ST. JAMES'S PALACE.
Of Henry VIII.'s Palace the red-brick gateway, probably the work of Holbein, is almost all that remains. It faces St. James's Street, and through the archway access is gained to "Colour Court." The clock dates from the time of George II. As shown in our picture, sentries guard this entrance to "the court of St. James's."