Victorian London - Charities - Asylum for Female Orphans

The Asylum for Female Orphans may likewise be regarded as an assistant to the Magdalen, it having been instituted nearly at the same period in order to prevent prostitution, by receiving and affording protection to the deserted and orphan children of the poor. This building is situated about midway on the south side of the road from Westminster Bridge to the Obelisk here, too, is a chapel, open to the public on Sunday, the money received at the doors contributing to the maintenance of time charity: it is well attended. Still nearer to the Obelisk, but on the north side, is the Freemasons' School and Asylum for Female Orphans, which was instituted on the 25th of March, 1758.

source: Mogg's New Picture of London and Visitor's Guide to it Sights, 1844