The Asylum for the Deaf and Dumb, in the Kent Road, is a handsome brick building. This institution was first formed in 1792; but the present edifice was not completed till 1806. Here these unfortunates are not only taught to speak, read, write, and cipher, but also various mechanic arts, to enable them to obtain subsistence when discharged from the establishment.
Mogg's New Picture of London and Visitor's Guide to it Sights, 1844
DEAF AND DUMB ASYLUM. Asylum for the support and education of indigent deaf and dumb children, Kent Road, Surrey - instituted 1792. No child is eligible under the age of eight and a half, nor above eleven and a half. The Asylum is open to inspection daily, Sundays excepted. The most convenient time is from 11 till 1 o'clock.
Peter Cunningham, Hand-Book of London, 1850
ASYLUM FOR DEAF AND DUMB CHILDREN, Gloucester Place, Old Kent Road, Surrey, established in 1792, through the benevolent exertions of the Rev. John Townshend, is not less worthy of a visit than the Institution for the Blind. A splendid illustrated Vocabulary (containing 4000 engravings) has recently been prepared for the use of its inmates.
Cruchley's London in 1865 : A Handbook for Strangers, 1865