This handsome building
has just been completed for the Benevolent Institution for the Relief of Aged
and Infirm Journeymen, found on the 10th of February, 1837.
The good work originated with Mr. Stulz, the president of the Society, who, at one of the anniversary meetings, annouced to the members that he would present them with a piece of land as a site for an asylum. Accordingly, at a sale of the Southampton estate, he made the above purchase; and, at his sole cost and charge, erected the chapel, and six of the adjoining houses. The asylum consists, at present, of the chapel and ten houses; the dwelling at the south end being appropriated for the chaplain. Each house consists of eight rooms, two being allotted to each pensioner. There are, at present, thirty-six pensioners and their wives in the asylum; and five more to be elected on the 28th of the present month. In addition to the apartments, each pensioner receives 8s. per week, and coals.
The Asylum is in the old English style, from the design of Mr. T. Meyer. The first stone was laid by the Marquis of Salisbury, on the 31st of May, 1842; and the chapel was consecrated by the Bishop of London, on the 24th of June last. The chapel has been endowed by Mr. Stulz; and the communion-plate, books, altar-screen, and furniture of the chapel have been presented by different master members of the institution. In short, there seems to have been only one object in view - the perfecting the work so liberally begun by the president. In addition to the Asylum, there is a permanent fund of upwards of £10,000.
from The Illustrated London News, 1843