Victorian London - Charities - The National Society

The NATIONAL SOCIETY: office, Sanctuary, Westminster; established by royal charter in 1811, on the system and by the efforts of Dr. Bell, for educating the children of the poor in the principles of the Established Church. This powerful society fosters and superintends 11,500 schools (and the number is annually increasing), in which upwards of 1,250,000 children receive a sound religious and secular education. These schools draw from their supporters, and from the weekly pence of the children, s yearly income of 980,000l., and are further assisted by a Parliamentary grant of about 30,000l. The income of the society itself is about 13,000l. per annum. The central depository of the society for the sale of books and school apparatus is at the Sanctuary, Westminster; and the Training Institutions (for masters) at Battersea College, and St. Mark's College, Brompton; and (for mistresses) at Whitelands, Chelsea.

Cruchley's London in 1865 : A Handbook for Strangers, 1865