The Philanthropic Society, in the London Road, was established in 1806. The children taken under its care are such as have been engaged in criminal courses, or are the offspring of convicted felons. For the employment of the children, buildings have been erected, called the Philanthropic Reform, in which, under the direction of the several masters, various trades are here conducted. The girls are educated as servants, and instructed in other domestic employments. The chapel is open to the public every Sunday, when a collection is made in aid of the charity.
Mogg's New Picture of London and Visitor's Guide to it Sights, 1844