Victorian London - Crime - Violence, murders and assaults - The Finsbury Murder (Cecilia 'Sissy' Aldridge)

Times, Monday Jan.17, 1870

    At half-past 5 o'clock on Saturday morning an atrocious murder was committed at Brecker's Hotel, Christopher-street, Finsbury-square, the victim being a young woman, whose name is at present unknown. It appears that four hours before Jacob Spinass, the night porter at the hotel, was taken into custody for creating a disturbance at a house of ill fame in the City-road, where, according to his own account, he had been robbed of a sum of money. The acting inspector at the Hoxton police-station, however, decided not to take the charge, but before he set the prisoner at liberty he advised him to go home and not to frequent such places in future. Spinass, who is a native of Switzerland, said he would take the advice and was evidently affected by what had been said to him. He then raised his hat and went away, leaving on the inspector's mind an impression that he was really of a kind and inoffensive disposition. He got back to the hotel at half-past 1, and the door was opened by Joseph Webber, the junior porter. The latter, seeing that he had been drinking, asked him whether he should do his work for him, but this offer Spinass declined, saying "No, you go to bed." Webber then went upstairs. At half-past 5 o'clock the household was disturbed by the smashing of china, and Mrs. Brecker, on descending to the basement, where Spinass's room was situate, and whence the noise proceeded, met him on the stairs. His manner was wild, and he repeatedly said in German, "That the devil was down stairs." Mrs. Brecker called for assistance and Weber came down. It was then discovered that the dead body of a woman was lying near the scullery-door in a pool of blood. One side of the head and face was so completely disfigured as to render identification nearly impossible. Her dress was extremely shabby. From the appearance of the room it was manifest that there had been a violent struggle. The windows were broken, the furniture was disordered, and the bed and the walls were bespattered with blood. Pieces of a wine bottle, many of which had flesh and hair clinging to them, were found in the bed. A heavy candlestick, bent at the bottom, was standing on the table. Spinass, who did not leave the house, was given into custody, and in answer to the charge said that he was attacked in his room by several men, among whom was the devil, whom he struck at with the candlestick. They then disappeared; and as soon as they were gone he saw a dead woman on the floor. He was then taken into custody.
    Between 11 and 12 o'clock Spinass was placed in the dock at the Worship-street Police-court, charged with the wilful murder of the woman whose body was discovered in the manner described above. Police-constable 228 G deposed that, from information he received, he went to Brecker's Hotel about half-past 5 o'clock on Saturday morning. On entering a room on the basement he saw the body of a woman. The head and face had been beaten about in the most horrible manner. He clothes were saturated with blood, and pieces of glass were scattered about the room. The prisoner, whose clothes were covered with blood, said that being attacked, he defended himself with a candlestick and a looking-glass. The body of the woman was subsequently found on the floor.
    Other evidence was adduced, and it was said that the deceased was supposed to be a prostitute living in the neighbourhood. The prisoner, who displayed great agitation during the examination, did not say anything in defence, and Mr. Ellison remanded him for a week.
Later in the day Mr. John Humphreys, the coroner for East Middlesex, held an inquiry at the Windmill tavern, Castle-street, Finsbury, into the circumstances under which the deceased lost her life. Mrs. Sarah Becker said that she lived at 1,2,3 and 4 Christopher-street, Finsbury-square. Her husband kept the hotel there. Jacob Spinass was their night porter. He slept on the basement. On the morning in question witness went to bed about 1 o'clock. Spinass was not out by leave. About half-past 5 she was disturbed by the smashing of china and crockery. There were no cries. She left her bedroom to ascertain the cause, and on going down saw Spinass between the foot of the stairs, and the front door. He was raving in the most frantic manner, saying in German that the devil was down there. He did not quit the house. She called for assistance, and the other porter came to her. Spinass went down stairs again. Witness's husband was in the house. She did not go down, but went back to her room. Spinass made a great noise, and she told him to be quiet, which he did. When witness returned he had been removed from the house in custody. He was a Swiss, and aged about 24 or 25.
    Joseph Webber, the junior porter at the hotel, said he let Spinass in about half-past 1 o'clock. He had nobody with him at the time. Witness said that he had been drinking, and asked him whether he should sit up for him. Spinass replied in the negative, and witness, after talking to him for about a quarter of an hour, went upstairs to bed, leaving him in the kitchen. He had nothing to drink after he came in. Witness slept on the fourth floor. Before 6 o'clock he heard some loud talking and smashing of plates. On going down he met Spinass in the passage, by the front door. He was making a noise and shouting. Witness told him to be quiet, and then went downstairs. Some blood was on the table in the scullery. He ran upstairs to put on his clothes, and returned as soon as he could. There was no light in the scullery. On going into Spinass's room he trod upon something and on looking down he saw that it was a woman's head. He called out that a dead body was there. He was afterwards told to fetch a policeman, and he did so. When he first saw the body it was on the floor of Spinass's bedroom. The second time he saw the body it had been moved a few yards, but the position was the same. To his knowledge he had not seen the woman before. He never knew of a woman going there to see Spinass. He did not know of Spinass's letting a woman in after he had gone to bed. Spinass did not often get drunk. He did not tell witness what made him so late that night. He did not say in witness's hearing how the woman came there. He was removed from the house by the police. The candlestick had been in use for year. It was heavy and loaded at the bottom.
At this stage the CORONER decided to adjourn the case, remarking that the body had not been identified, and that a post mortem examination had yet to made.

Times, Tuesday Jan.18, 1870

    The body of the woman who was murdered on Saturday morning has been identified. At 7 o'clock in the evening it was removed in a shell to St. Luke's Dead-house, Shepherdess-walk, City-road. Shortly afterwards, Eliza Ward, Bridget Martin, and Mary Ann Morton, who said they lived at a common lodging-house in Flower and Dead-street, Spitalfields, applied to Inspector Fife, at the Old-street police-station, for permission to view it. They said that a female friend of theirs was missing, and that the reports in the newspapers led them to fear that she was the victim. Inspector Fife accordingly had them conducted to the dead-house. The features of the deceased were so disfigured as to be unrecognisable, but her identity was placed beyond doubt by her dress, which had been given to her by Bridget Martin a few weeks before. The latter also said that their friend had dark hair, light blue eyes, and a fair complexion. The deceased answered to this description. It was then stated that up to Friday night she lived with Ward, Martin, and Morton, at a lodging-house in Flower and Dean-street. She had recently completed her 30th year, but looked much younger. Her name had been ascertained. She was known among her acquaintances as "Sissy." For the last two years she had been constantly seen in the neighbourhood of Finsbury-square. Apparently she had no relatives living. On Friday evening, about 9 o'clock, she left Flower and Dean-street. The identity of the deceased was further established, two hours afterwards, by Mary Anne Grange, who said that she had lent the deceased the boots which she had on when the murder was discovered. A post mortem examination on the body was made on Sunday afternoon.
    Yesterday it transpired that the prisoner came from Switzerland. His age is 23. On the 12th of April 1868, he arrived in England, and six days afterwards obtained employment at the hotel where the murder was committed. In the summer he acted as a commission agent or courier at a house in Cavendish-square. During the winter he was out of a situation. In January, 1869, however, he got some work at an hotel in Percy-street, Tottenham-court-road. About the following Easter he returned to Mr. Buecker's establishment.
    Mr. B.J.Abbott, solicitor, of 52, Worship-street, having been instructed by the Swiss Consul to defend the prisoner, had an interview with him at the House of Detention yesterday afternoon. The prisoner, who was remarkably calm and collected, firmly protested his innocence, and made a statement which was reconcilable in its most important features with the evidence published in The Times of yesterday.

Times, Saturday Jan 22, 1870

    Yesterday afternoon Mr. John Humphreys, the Coroner for East Middlesex, resumed his inquiry at the Windmill Tavern, Castle-street, City-road, into the circumstances attendant on the death of the young woman who was murdered at the hotel in Finsbury-square on the morning of the 15th inst.
    Mr. B.J.Abbott, solicitor, appeared for Jacob Spinass, the alleged murderer; Mr. Maynard watched the case on behalf of Mr. Buecker. The Consul-General for Switzerland was represented by Mr. Kearsey, the solicitor to the Consulate.
Richard Lyndon, bookkeeper and head waiter at the hotel, said that on the morning of the 16th inst. he did not see of miss any wine. He saw some on the Saturday morning. There were so many bottles of wine in the place that it was hard to see whether any had been taken away.
In answer to a juror, witness said he thought that the keys of the cellar were kept by a waiter.
    Police-constable Thomas Crabbe, 228 G, stated that on the morning in question he was called to Mr. Buecker's Hotel, in Christopher-street, Finsbury-square. On going in he saw Jacob Spinass on the top of the stairs which led to the basement story, and which were near the front door. The constable told him to go down, and he did so. The dead body of a woman was lying in a pool of blood on the floor of the kitchen. When the constable came in the prisoner cried "Police, police!" He was removed in custody.
    Sergeant Joseph Row, 4 G Reserve, said that on the morning of the 15th he was on duty at the station when Spinass was brought in by the last witness. On examining him the sergeant found that his hands, trousers, and handkerchief were covered with blood. There was a cut on his left hand. The sergeant happened to stoop down and Spinass putting the wounded part into his mouth, endeavoured to make it worse. The blood spurted out. On the sergeant's telling him that he was charged with the wilful murder of a woman at Buecker's Hotel, he said, "I thought it was a thief in the house. I had been drinking. I heard a noise at the side of my bed. I called out 'Joseph,' thinking it was the porter. I then took the looking-glass and broke it over her head. Afterwards I took up the candlestick and bottles and battled with her for half an hour. When the light came I found the woman dead." He then repeated, "I thought it was a thief in the house." The sergeant after entering the charge, read it over to Spinass, and asked him whether he understood it. He made no reply. He was then handcuffed and put into a cell. After the examination at the police-court he said in his broken English, "You no take me to prison; I've done nothing."
    In cross-examination by Mr. Abbott, the sergeant said that Spinass mentioned the word "her" through the whole of the conversation. Care was taken in noting down the words he used, and he was cautioned that what he said would be given in as evidence against him.
In answer to a juror, the sergeant said that there were no marks of violence on him except the cut he had referred to.
    Police-constable Edward Herme, 247 G, deposed to the identity of the deceased. He had seen the body. On the 6th instant she was in his custody for being found drunk and incapable. She then gave the name of Cecilia Aldridge.
    Mrs. Eliza Ward, of 56, Flower and Dean-street, Spitalfields, said that she had seen the body at the deadhouse. It was that of a person who was known as "Sissy," and who lived in the same house as herself. Witness last saw her alive about 9 o'clock on the evening of the 14th inst., and that was when she left the house. She was in the habit of going out between 8 and 9 o'clock in the evening and returning about six hours afterwards.
    In cross-examination by Mr. Abbott, witness said that she had some tea with the deceased at half-past 8. At 9 o'clock she saw her in the kitchen preparing to go out. On Sunday night witness identified her body at St. Luke's deadhouse.
Bridget Martin, also of 56, Flower and Dean-street, gave corroborative evidence adding that some time ago she bought "Sissy" a brown dress. That dress was on the body of the deceased.
    Mary James, an "unfortunate," of 33, Great Arthur-street, St. Luke's said she knew the deceased as "Sissy." She had seen the body at the house. She had known the porter at Mr. Buecker's Hotel for 12 months. The deceased and herself were frequently together, and on several occasions witness had been in the hotel at night. She had rung the bell, and he had let her in. She could not say how many times she had been there. She used to go into a little bedroom at the side of the kitchen. On the night of the 14th inst. she saw the deceased. She met her accidentally at Mr. Buecker's Hotel. Afterwards she saw her at the same place about 20 minutes or a quarter to 2 on the morning of the 15th. It might have been later. There they parted company. The man who witness had been in the habit of seeing looked out of the door. The deceased said she had got an appointment with him. She then went with him into the house. Witness did not again see her alive. She waited near the hotel for a short time, but finding that the deceased did not come out she went away. It struck 3 o'clock as she went home. The man did not speak to her. She had seen the deceased at the door of the hotel several times, but was not aware that she was in the habit of going in. The last time witness was in the house with the porter was three or four weeks ago. She did not hear them say anything before they went in. She had not seen the man since.
    The CORONER remarked that it was a disadvantage for them not to have the prisoner present. A juror concurred.
In cross-examination by Mr. Abbott, the witness said that she was not on bad terms with Spinass. The first time she heard of the murder was on Sunday morning, for on the Saturday afternoon she went to Lea-bridge and in the evening visited the theatre. On Wednesday night, meeting a policeman, she told him what she had seen. Spinass had always behaved well towards her. She saw the deceased go into the hotel and the door shut behind her. Previous to that witness saw the man look out. The deceased was then standing near her. Witness could not say how or by whom the door was opened.
    In cross-examination by Mr. Maynard, witness said that she did not know the name of the young man. She could not hear the bell from the outside, neither could she say which side the handle is on.
    Mr. Abbott remarked that this witness had contradicted herself on a material point.
    In reply to a juror, witness said she did not know of the deceased and young man ever having a quarrel. It was a man who opened the door. She distinctly saw the form. Who it was she would not undertake to say.
    Mr. George Eugene Yarrow, surgeon to the G division of police, deposed that about half-past 6 on the morning of the 15th inst. he was called to the deceased. She was quite dead. He should imagine that she had been dead about two hours. The body was fully dressed, but the clothes were disordered. She was about five feet high, and aged about 26. On the Sunday afternoon he made a post mortem examination of the body. In her left hand, between the thumb and forefinger, there were several short brown curls. Her legs had been recently scratched, and her left knee was very much bruised. On the top of the head, towards the left side, there was a scalp wound about one inch in length; on the left eyebrow an incised wound of similar size; both the eyes were severely contused, and one was disorganized. The bones of the nose were fractured. From one of the wounds witness removed several small pieces of green glass, such as that of an ordinary wine bottle. He also discovered fragments of a resinous substance. On the candlestick which was found in the kitchen at the hotel there was a small quantity of brain matter. This showed that the candlestick had been used in striking the deceased on the head. Her right hand was cut in five places. The left hand was very much contused, and there were four wounds upon it. The stomach contained three-quarters of a pint of undigested food, consisting for the most part of potatoes. There was also some wine there, and witness believed that it was claret. The cause of death was a fracture of the skull.
    The Coroner recapitulated the evidence, and the jury, after a few minutes' consideration, returned a verdict of "Wilful Murder" against Jacob Spinass.

The Times Thursday, Jan 27, 1870

    At the Worship-street Police-court yesterday Jacob Spinass, 23, described as a porter, was charged on remand before Mr. Newton with the wilful murder of Cecilia Aldridge.
    Mr. Poland, barrister, conducted the prosecution on behalf of the Crown ; Mr. B. J. .Abbott, solicitor, defended the prisoner. Mr. C. Albert acted as interpreter.
    Charles John Sargent, 11 G, said that on the morning of the 15th inst. he was on duty in the City-road, when he heard a cry of "Police!" proceeding from Buecker's hotel. He went there, saw the proprietor, and afterwards descended to the basement. The prisoner was there, sitting on the table. His hands, face, trousers, and shirt were stained with blood. On his left hand he had a slight out. His clothes were disordered. His manner was calm and composed. Between the kitchen and the prisoner's bedroom was the dead body of a woman. Some parts of her body were exposed. The head was frightfully disfigured and was in a pool of blood. Witness knew that a candle-stick was found in the prisoner's bedroom. It had hair, blood, and brain substance upon it. Dr. Hess arrived when witness had been there about six minutes. He said the woman was quite dead. Witness told the prisoner that he would be apprehended on a charge of wilful murder. He shook his bead, but made no reply. While witness was there he did not speak. Dr. Hess spoke to him in a foreign tongue. Witness removed the prisoner to the Old-street police-station. Another constable came up as witness left, and the latter left the body in his charge. At the station he left the prisoner with the acting inspector. Witness fetched Dr. Hess to the station. The prisoner was placed in the dock while the charge was being entered. Dr. Yarrow arrived shortly afterwards. Witness then returned to the hotel.
    In cross-examination by Mr. Abbott, witness repeated that the prisoner was not excited when he first saw him.
Joseph Rowe, Police-sergeant 4 G, after recapitulating the evidence which be gave at the inquest, and which was reported in The Times of Saturday, stated in cross-examination by Mr Abbott that the prisoner was excited at first, but afterwards calmed down. On searching him witness found an empty purse in his pocket. Witness was sure that the prisoner made use of the word "her" in his answer to the charge.
Arthur Barfield, 272 G, said that on the morning in question he was fetched to the hotel by one of the waiters. He went down to the kitchen, where he found two constables and the prisoner. The latter was sitting on the table. Witness say the body. The clothes were so disordered as to expose the whole of the lower part. The prisoner was taken to the station, and witness searched the bedroom. On the bed he found fragments of broken bottles, a tumbler, and a looking-glass. There were also pieces of the loading of a lower part of a candlestick. At the foot of the bed was the looking-glass frame. On the floor were two empty wine bottles. In the prisoner's box was a bottle of claret, Witness did not think it had been opened. On the pieces of candlestick loading were marks of blood. The bed was saturated with blood on the side nearest the wall. To all appearance the bed had been slept in. The wall was splashed with blood. Indeed there was blood upon almost everything. Inspector M'Keon was blood upon almost examined the room also. Witness was there when Dr. Yarrow came In. He knew the woman James. On the l8th he stopped and questioned her.
    In cross-examination by Mr. Abbott the witness said he stopped Mary James, one of the witnesses examined before the Coroner on the 18th inst. He said to her, "Halloa, I thought you were dead." She then gave him some information respecting the murder. He had seen her before.
In reply to Mr. Poland, the witness said the deceased was unknown to him. He had seen the prisoner near Mr. Buecker's hotel, He had never seen the prisoner and James together.
    Inspector M'Keon of the G Division. said that on the morning of the 15th inst, having received information of the murder, he went to Buecker's hotel. He found the body as described by the previous witnesses. Witness saw Dr. Yarrow examine the body and find in the pockets a small purse, 1s.6d. in English copper and silver money, a ten cent. Swiss piece, and two sbort clay pipes. The prisoner's box was searched after his removal to the station, and a purse containing 8l. was taken from it. After Dr. Yarrow had examined the body it was conveyed to the workhouse.
    In regard to the state of the prisoner's room and the appearance of the body this witness confirmed the evidence already adduced.
Mr. George Eugene Yarrow, the surgeon of the G Division of Police, deposed to having been sent for about half-past 6 o'clock on the morning in question. He accordingly proceeded to the Old-street police-station, where he found the prisoner in custody. The latter had a wound on his finger. It was of the size of a fourpenny piece, and might have been caused by a bite. He also had an incised wound on another finger. Witness dressed the first-mentioned wound. The prisoner seemed quite calm and collected, and while witness was attending to his finger he said "Thank you," several times. Witness proceeded to the hotel and saw the body. It was about a quarter to 7 o'clock when he entered the kitchen. The head of the deceased was in the kitchen and the legs in the prisoner's bedroom. Her stockings had been pulled down over the boots. One of her arms was contracted. A bonnet was on the head, and witness removed It. He searched her dress, and found the things referred to by Inspector M'Keon. The deceased's boots were much too large for her. Witness had the body removed to the deadhouse, and on the afternoon of the 16th inst he made a private post mortem examination of It. She was rather sparely built, about 4ft. 10in. in height, and apparently 26 years of age. Her left eye was lacerated and contused. The orbital plate on which the eyeball rests was hanging down by a piece of muscular tissue. There was also a wound on the right side of the face, fracturing the molar, or cheekbone, and the upper and lower jawbones. On the right side of the head was a hole penetrating to the brain, and from an inch and a half to an inch and three-quarters in length. There were five wounds on the hands, and the back of the left one was very much contused. In this hand, between the thumb and the forefinger, witness found about 20 dark brown hairs. These, he believed had been torn from the prisoner's head. The remainder of, this witness's evidence amounted to a repetition of that which he gave at the inquest.
    The prisoner was further remanded.


Thursday, Feb 10, 1870

At Worship-street Police-court yesterday, Jacob Spinass, 23, described as a porter, was charged, on remand, before Mr. Nowton, with the wilful murder of Cecilia Aldridge, at Buecker's Hotel, Christopher-street, Finsbury-square, on the morning of 15th ult.
Mr. Poland, barrister, conducted the prosecution on behalf of the Crown; Mr. B.J.Abbot, solicitor, appeared for the prisoner; and M. Albert acted as interpreter.
August Hesse, M.D., of Artillery-place, Finsbury-square, said that on the morning of the 15th ult., about 20 minuets to 6 o'clock, he was fetched to Buecker's Hotel. He had been in the habit of attending persons there. On going into the kitchen he found the prisoner sitting on the table. Some constables were there at the time. The body of a woman was on the floor. It was lying on the back, and the feet were under the doorway of the prisoner's room. Witness only examined it with a view of seeing whether life was extinct or not. He found that she was quite dead. The clothes were disordered and part of the body exposed. The deceased had a bonnet on, but it had fallen back towards the nape of the neck. He gave the prisoner to understand that he would be charged on suspicion with the murder. The prisoner was removed by the constables, and as this was being done he said in German, "I want to have my coat; it is upstairs." One of the constables desired witness to go with the prisoner to the station. He did so, and when the charge was taken the prisoner, in answer to the questions put to him by the inspector, stated his name and age. Witness then left.
In cross examination by Mr. Abbott, the witness said that when he first saw the body the clothes were a little above the knee. The prisoner's face looked as if something weighed upon his mind, but his manner was still calm. The body of the deceased was quite warm, and there was no stiffness or rigidity in any of the limbs.
Mrs. Sarah Buecker stated that the prisoner first entered her husband's employment in April 1868. Three month afterwards he want away. He subsequently returned to the hotel, and remained there as day porter up to the time of the occurrence in question. On the night of the 14th ult. the prisoner had no permission to go out. His duties were to answer the bell if it rang during the night, and to admit customers. About 5 o'clock on the morning of the 15th ult. she woke up. Half an hour afterwards she heard a loud crash in the basement. She believed that she called out "What is the matter?" twice. The prisoner called up in German from the passage, "The devil is under." Witness went downstairs and saw the prisoner under the archway in the passage. He waved something in his hand, continuing to call out in a most frantic manner, "The devil is under." She called upstairs for assistance, and afterwards went into the kitchen and saw the body.
In cross-examination by Mr. Abbott, the witness said that up to 3 o'clock on the morning in question she was reading in bed by gaslight. She did not hear the prisoner come in. Her room was on the first floor.
In reply to the magistrate, witness said that she heard two crashes; one followed the other instantly. The last one sounded as if glass had been broken.
Mary James said that she had known the deceased for 18 months as "Sissy." Witness did not know either her surname or where she lived. She had known the prisoner for two years. It was at the door of Buecker's Hotel that she first saw him. Witness had been in the hotel. About three weeks after she became acquainted with him she went into the hotel. He made an appointment for a quarter to 2 o'clock. On that occasion she went down stairs. She had been there about 12 times since. The last time was the Tuesday night before the murder. Sometimes the prisoner looked out, sometimes she had to ring. In the latter event it was he who answered the door. The prisoner always behaved well to her. He gave her English money. On the night of the 14th ult. she saw the deceased at a public house in the City-road. After having some refreshment they separated. Witness saw the deceased again at a quarter to 2 o'clock on he morning of the 15th ult. This was in Christopher-street. The prisoner opened the door and the deceased spoke to him. Shortly afterwards he closed the door and the deceased returned to witness. The door was again opened, but by whom witness could not say. The deceased then went in. This was, as near as she could remember, about 2 o'clock. It struck 3 o'clock as witness got home. The deceased had had something to drink.
In cross-examination by Mr. Abbott, witness stated that she had been examined on this matter before the Coroner. She then told the same story as she told now. She did not say that she had only known the prisoner 12 months. She did not say at the inquest that her acquaintance with the prisoner had ceased after two months. She would swear that she had been in the hotel as she had stated. She knew the beadle of Finsbury-square. she spoke to him about the girl's death before the inquest. Neither the prisoner nor the hotel was mentioned. She did not tell him that she had never been in the hotel in her life. She said at the inquest that she met the deceased at the same place on the morning of the 15th ult. as she did on the previous night. On the 19th ult. she met Police-constable 272 G in Finsbury-circus. He thought that it was she who had been murdered. She had then heard of the occurrence at the hotel. Her speaking to the constable led to her appearance at the inquest.
Police constable Arthur Barfield, 272 G, said he took the last witness to the workhouse, whither the body of the deceased had been conveyed.
Charles Reading, the infirmary and reception warder at the House of Detention, said he saw the prisoner on the evening of Wednesday the 19th ult. Witness entered his cell to see that all was right, and the prisoner, rising up in his bed, asked him to give him something for his finger, adding, "The woman bit it." When, on returning from his examination on the 26th, he was searched in the usual course, he said "Mr. Doctor, will you give me some more ointment? My finger is very bad. The woman whom I killed bit it." He spoke in English. The ointment was given to him.
Police-constable Herme, 247 G, said that he saw the body of the deceased at the workhouse. On the 6th ult. she was in his custody for being drunk and incapable in Compton-street, Clerkenwell. On being taken to the Old-street Police-station she gave her name and address as Cecilia Aldridge, 26, Acorn-street, Bishopsgate. The charge-sheet was produced.
Mr. Poland said that this was the case for the prosecution.
The depositions were then read over by the chief clerk, after which the prisoner received the usual caution. He said he was not guilty. He had no witnesses to call. The magistrate fully committed him to Newgate for trial at the Central Criminal Court.
The prisoner, who generally maintained his calmness, but cried while the deposition were being read over, was then removed.

Times, Jan/Feb, 1870