Victorian London - Crime - Pornography and Indecency - indecent literature and prints &c.

BOW-STREET - Yesterday an idler in Hungerford-market, named Forder, was charged with exposing indecent prints for sale in that locality.
    It was proved by an officer in the employ the Society for the Suppression of Vice that the prisoner was offering his filthy productions to persons of both sexes in the market, and sold one of them to witness for 1d., upon which he gave him into custody.
    It having been proved that the prisoner was in the habit of dealing in such commodities, Mr. JARDINE committed him to hard labour for six weeks.

The Times, July 9, 1846

    John Sharpe surrendered to answer an indictment preferred by the Society for the Suppression of Vice, charging him with keeping a shop for the sale of obscene books and prints.
   He pleaded "Guilty" and the RECORDER sentenced him to be imprisoned in the county-gaol for Surrey for one year, and at the expiration of his sentence to find security to the extent of 100l., and enter into his own recognizance in the same amount, to be of good behaviour for five years. 

The Times, March 9, 1847

Martin Joyner, 43, and Alfred Joyner, 19, father and son, who had carried on business as dealers in stereoscopic pictures, at 29, St. Martin's-court, St. Martin's-lane; James Glenny, alias Norris, alias Saunders, bookseller of Holywell-street, Strand; and James Martin, alias Morgan, of the same place, were indicted for selling and publishing indecent stereoscopic slides. . . . Some of the slides were produced and exhibited to the jury, and were understood to be of a most obscene character. . . .  It was stated that at the time of the apprehension of Joyner, sen., upwards of 450 of these indecent slides were found in various parts of his shop and premises, which were all seized by the society [for the Suppression of Vice] and which were ordered by the Court to be immediately destroyed. A great number were also seized in Holywell-street by the officers and they also were ordered to be destroyed.

The Times, January 2, 1861