Victorian London - Districts - Areas - Brompton

BROMPTON. A hamlet to the parish of Kensington, between Knightsbridge and Chelsea, and divided in Old and New Brompton, but why so called, I am not aware. It has long been and is still the favourite residence of actors and singers. Holy Trinity Church, a little beyond the Square, (Mr. Donaldson, architect), was consecrated June 6th, 1829, and in the July following the first interment took place in the burial-ground - formerly a flower garden. 
    ... People in consumptions were formerly ordered to Brompton, and here in 1846 was erected the first wing of present Consumption Hospital.

Peter Cunningham, Hand-Book of London, 1850

[ ... back to main menu for this book]

Brompton.ówas at one time almost exclusively the artist quarter and is still largely frequented by the votaries of the brush and chisel, though of late years Belgravia has been encroaching upon its boundaries, and Belgravian rents are stealing westward. Lies rather low, and on what was at one time swampy ground, but thoroughly well drained, Climate mild, as evidenced by its selection for the Consumption Hospital. Since the fields have been covered with rows of splendid houses a considerable portion of what was once Brompton has thrown off its former name, and taken that of South Kensington. Thus South Kensington Museum is separated only by the Oratory from Brompton Church. It may be questioned whether anything remains of Brompton except the name of its road, and of the row and square and it is probable that even the inhabitants of Brompton-square, head their letters South Kensington, while Thurloe-square, Onslow Square and Pelham-crescent, once the heart of Brompton have all gone over to the more fashionable quarter. The name, however, exists in West Brompton. This locality, which was once called little Chelsea, took its new name just about the time that Brompton assumed the name of South Kensington. In another generation people will wonder why the church and road are called Brompton, when the only Brompton known lies near Chatharn. NEAREST Railway Stations, West Brompton, Gloucester-road, and South Kensington Omnibus Routes, Brompton-road and Fulham-road. 

Charles Dickens (Jr.), Dickens's Dictionary of London, 1879