[ ... back to main menu for this book]
Edgware Road is the great north-western road. It starts from the west end of Oxford-street, and leads past Maida-vale, St. John’s Wood, and Kilburn to Hendon, and so north. It has much traffic, and is celebrated for the cheapness of its shops. About four miles from the Marble Arch lies the “WelshHarp,” a great place in summer for parties in vans, bean-feasters, and other pleasure-seekers.—NEAREST Railway Station, Welsh Harp, on the Midland line.
Charles Dickens (Jr.), Dickens's Dictionary of London, 1879