[ ... back to main menu for this book]
Newgate-street ó Few streets have been more improved of late years than this, which fifteen years ago was little better than a lane running by the side of the dreary wall of Newgate Prison, and the greasy neighbourhood of Newgate Market. The impediment to traffic was, however, so great that it was determined to widen the street, and the whole of the north side has been thrown back some 20 feet. At the point where Holborn-viaduct ends and Newgate-street begins, the street called Old Bailey runs in front of Newgate Prison. Giltspur-street, which is a continuation of the Old Bailey leads to Smithfield Market. On the north of Newgate-street is Christís Hospital, or the Blue-coat School; the play-ground of the school facing the street. Many propositions have been made for the removal of the school into the country, as the land upon which it stands is of great value, and no doubt ere long the change will be brought about. On the northern corner, where Newgate-street runs into the end of St. Martins-le-Grand, is the new Post-office, an imposing pile of buildings. To the south of Newgate-street, behind Newgate Prison, was Newgate Market, which has for some years been abolished, although many butchers still retain shops in their old premises.
Charles Dickens (Jr.), Dickens's Dictionary of London, 1879