Victorian London - Districts - Areas - Notting Hill

NOTTING HILL. An estate in the parish of Kensington, thickly covered with houses built between the years 1828 and 1848.

Peter Cunningham, Hand-Book of London, 1850

[ ... back to main menu for this book]

Notting Hill is a comparatively cheap district, lying between Kensal-green Cemetery and Campden-hill, and continuing the town westward from Bayswater to Shepherds Bush. Here a fair-sized house may be had from about 75 to 120, according to whether it approaches the western or eastern verge of the district. Stations: Notting Hill, Latimer-road, on the City and Hammersmith; Uxbridge-road on the West London; and Notting Hill-gate on the Metropolitan Line, A good deal of confusion arises from the similarity of name between the two stations of Notting Hill and Notting Hill-gate, which are more than a mile apart on two different lines; the former (City & Hammersmith) being at the north end of Ladbroke-grove, and the latter (Metrop.) nearly half a mile to the east of its south end in Notting Hill High-st. Omnibus routes: Westbourne-grove and Uxbridge-road.

Charles Dickens (Jr.), Dickens's Dictionary of London, 1879