BRITISH AND FOREIGN INSTITUTE, George-street, Hanover-square, was formed by James Silk Buckingham, under the patronage of Prince Albert, who was present at the opening in 1844. The leading object of the Institute was to afford a point of union for literary and scientific men from all quarters of the globe, without distinction of nation, politics, or creed; to give facilities of introduction to strangers visiting the metropolis from the country; and to add the attractions of literature, science, and art, the refinements and grace of female society. The Club-rooms had the accommodations of a family hotel. The Institute did not long exist.
John Timbs, Curiosities of London, 1867