THE IMPERIAL INSTITUTE.
The Imperial Institute at South Kensington was built with the twofold object of celebrating the Queen's Jubilee and cementing the British Empire. Her Majesty in person both laid the foundation stone of this splendid building in 1887 and declared it open in 1893. f he architect (Mr. T. E. Colcutt) was inspired by Tennyson's words: "Raise a stately memorial, Make it really gorgeous, Some Imperial Institute, Rich in symbol, in ornament, Which may speak to the centuries." In design the Institute is Renaissance, freely treated. The main entrance is particularly fine, and the interior is worthy the exterior. Altogether the buildings occupy two acres. Every Friday the public is admitted free to the exhibitions; and the attractions of the Institute are enhanced by concerts, lectures, etc.Victorian London - Publications - History - The Queen's London : a Pictorial and Descriptive Record of the Streets, Buildings, Parks and Scenery of the Great Metropolis, 1896 - The Imperial Institute : The Entrance Hall
THE IMPERIAL INSTITUTE: THE ENTRANCE HALL.
On passing into the Imperial Institute at South Kensington by the magnificent main entrance, and ascending the staircase, one finds oneself in the lofty Hall, which is in complete accord with the rest of Mr. T. E. Colcutt's masterpiece. Its roof and side-galleries are supported by pillars of beautiful Numidian marble, whose red-brown tint agreeably contrasts with the greys and greens of the other marbles so lavishly employed. The main entrance is reserved for Fellows of the Institute and their friends; and the Hall is used for lectures, concerts and other entertainments The bust of the Queen, shown in our view, is a reminder of the fact that her Majesty in person both laid the stone of, and formally opened, this national memorial of her Jubilee.
Two Hundred and Fifty Views London, [no date - probably 1900s]