[ ... back to main menu for this book]
Merchant Taylors’ School, Charterhouse-square, is one of the best of the public schools of London, and has little to fear in any competition. The ancient motto of the school, Homo plantat Homo irrigat sed Deus dat Incrementum, well expresses the aspiration of the “pious founders”; and the following extract from the old statute of 1561 sets forth the origin of the institution: “The Grammar-Schoole, founded in the’ Parish of St. Laurence Pountney, in London, in the Yere of our Lord God one thousand fyve hundred, sixty-one, by the Worshipfull Company of the Marchaunt Taylors, of the City of London, in the honour of Christ Jesu.” Presentations to the school are in the gift of the members of the court of assistants of the Merchant Taylors’ Company. The school is divided primarily into upper and lower; and the upper school into two divisions, called the classical side and the modern side. The lower school is preparatory to the upper, promotions being made from the lower to the upper twice a year according to individual proficiency. The half of Monday is, throughout the school, devoted to religious instruction. The dues are an entrance fee of £3 and £12 12s., per annum, paid quarterly in advance, by boys in the lower, or £15 15s. per annum by boys in either department of the upper school. This includes every charge for education, except books. There is no boarding system, but boarders are received by the assistant-masters, and by other persons, with whom special arrangements must be made. No boy can be admitted unless he be over nine and under fourteen years of age, and p ass the entrance examination to the satisfaction of the head-master. The list of the scholarships and exhibitions to the universities is amazing, and the school scholarships themselves are of great importance. Such a list as that which is here appended is probably unparalleled: Twenty-one scholarships of £100 per annum, tenable for seven years under certain conditions at St. John’s College, Oxford; four Parkyn exhibitions of £90, for four years, to Cambridge, for mathematics; five Andrew exhibitions of £86 per annum, for five years, tenable at St. John’s College, Oxford, for history and modern languages; two Stuart exhibitions, one to Cambridge, of about £60, for four years, and one to Oxford, of £50, for eight years; four Company’s exhibitions of £40, for four years, to either Oxford or Cambridge; one school exhibition, of about £60, for four years, tenable at Oxford; two Pitt Club exhibitions, of about £30, for four years, tenable at Oxford or Cambridge; and one free medical and surgical scholarship annually at St. Thomas’s Hospital. All boys who have been in the school two years are eligible to the twenty-one scholarships at St. John’s College, Oxford, until the 11th of June preceding their nineteenth birthday. Candidates for other school exhibitions may in some cases have passed their nineteenth birthday, but must have been a certain time in the school, and attained a certain rank in it, and passed certain examinations. Ten scholarships are awarded annually by competition to boys who have been at least one year in the school. Four of these, called senior scholarships, are open to boys under sixteen, and are of the value of £30 per annum, and tenable as long as the holder remains in the school. One at least of these senior scholarships is awarded every year for modern subjects. The remaining six called junior scholarships, are open to boys under fourteen, and are of the value of £15, tenable for two years, or until the holder is elected to a senior scholarship It is not surprising that with advantages such as these the list of distinguished Taylorians should comprise the names of so many remarkable men. All information can be obtained from the secretary at the school. NEAREST Railway Station, Omnibus Route and Cab Rank, Aldersgate-street
Charles Dickens (Jr.), Dickens's Dictionary of London, 1879Victorian London - Publications - History - The Queen's London : a Pictorial and Descriptive Record of the Streets, Buildings, Parks and Scenery of the Great Metropolis, 1896 - Merchant Taylors' School: The Great Hall
MERCHANT TAYLORS' SCHOOL: THE GREAT HALL.
The large Hall of the Merchant Tavlors' School in Charterhouse Square, which includes an organ loft, is a handsome room within the main building, shown in a view on a later page. The headmaster is the Rev. William Baker, D.D., Prebendary of St. Paul's Cathedral. There are at present more than five hundred boys at the school, which is for day scholars only, who receive excellent tuition for moderate fees, with the opportunity of competing for numerous scholarships. It was founded in 1561, and was long carried on in Suffolk Lane, Upper Thames Street, being transferred to Charterhouse Square in 1875, a new home having been built for it on the site of the old Charterhouse School, removed to Godalming, in Surrey.Victorian London - Publications - History - The Queen's London : a Pictorial and Descriptive Record of the Streets, Buildings, Parks and Scenery of the Great Metropolis, 1896 - Merchant Taylors' School
MERCHANT TAYLORS' SCHOOL.
Established in 1561, the Merchant Taylors' School owes much to Sir Thomas White, who founded St. John's College. Oxford, and reserved thereat forty-three scholarships for the Merchant Taylors' boys. When the Charterhouse School was removed to Godalming, the Merchant Taylors' Company acquired the site in Charterhouse Square, and transferred their school hither from Suffolk Lane, Upper Thames Street. The present premises, though they incorporate portions of the old Charterhouse School, are modern; the stone of the main building (in the centre of our view) having been laid by the Duke of Edinburgh in 1873. On the right of the picture is the latest addition to the buildings. To the left are the old Charterhouse cloisters, with the quarters of some of the officers of that foundation.