Victorian London - Education - Professional / Technical Colleges / Institutions - School of Design

schoolofdesign.gif (121907 bytes)

from The Illustrated London News, 1843

SCHOOL OF DESIGN (GOVERNMENT), in SOMERSET House, was established in 1837, by, and under the superintendence of, the Board of Trade for the Improvement of Ornamental Art, with regard especially to the staple manufactures of this country. The school is maintained by an annual grant from Parliament of 15001. In connection with the head school at Somerset House, schools have been formed in many of the principal manufacturing districts throughout the country. There is also a branch school at Spitalfields. Mode of Admission-The recommendation of a householder. There is a morning school for females, open daily, from 11 to 2 o'clock, Saturdays excepted. The school for males is open to the inspection of the public every Monday, between 11 and 3. There is also a class for ladies to learn wood engraving. The course of instruction comprehends the following classes: Elementary drawing, in outline with pencil shading with chalk after engraved examples; shading from casts chiaroscuro painting colouring; drawing the figure after engraved copies ; drawing the figure from casts painting the figure from casts ; geometrical drawing applied to ornament; perspective modelling from engraved copies, design, &c. Every student in the school is required to draw the human figure, and to pass through at least the elementary classes, as indispensable to the general course of instruction. The number of students that can be accommodated at one time is 200. The greatest number of students of the same calling are the ornamental painters and house-decorators ; the next most numerous are draughtsmen and designers for various manufactures and trades.

Peter Cunningham, Hand-Book of London, 1850

GOVERNMENT SCHOOL OF DESIGN, South Kensington Museum, Brompton: established in 1837, under the superintendence of the Educational Committee of the Board of Trade, with the view of introducing art-principles into the ornamental manufactures and decorative work of the country. It was removed to its present quarters in 1854. Here drawing, practical geometry, perspective, painting, modeling, and casting are taught by the most experienced masters; and pupils have the invaluable privilege of consulting freely the Library of Art, the Museum of Ornamental Art, and the valuable educational and scientific collections formed here by Government. For a student to obtain admission, a householder's recommendation is necessary.
    The museum is open free to the public (10 am, to 4 p.m., and 7 to 10 p.m.) on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Saturdays; to students, free, Wednesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays, and to the public on payment of 6d. for each person.

Cruchley's London in 1865 : A Handbook for Strangers, 1865