ARTHUR'S, 70 St. James's Street, was founded May 1811, and is named from its original founder. The present Club-house was built in 1828 by Mr. Hopper. Its number of members is limited to 600. Entrance fee, 21l.; annual subscription, 10l. 10s.
Cruchley's London in 1865 : A Handbook for Strangers, 1865
ARTHUR'S CLUB-HOUSE, 69, St. James's-street, is named from Mr. Arthur, the keeper of White's Chocolate-house, who died 1761. The present Club-house is by Hopper; the principal windows are decorated with fluted Corinthian columns.
John Timbs, Curiosities of London, 1867
[ ... back to main menu for this book]
Arthurís Club, St. Jamesís, W.óNon-political. Entrance fee, £31 10s.; annual subscription, £10 10s.
Charles Dickens (Jr.), Dickens's Dictionary of London, 1879