Victorian London - Entertainment and Recreation - Clubs - East India United Services Club

EAST INDIA UNITED SERVICE CLUB-HOUSE, St. James's-square, was erected in 1866, upon the site of two houses, no.14 and 15. The style is handsome Italian; architect Charles Lee. The East India United Service Club was founded, in 1848, to meet the wants of the various services which administer the Indian Government. It has, however, gradually lost its exclusively Indian character, especially since the transfer of our Eastern Empire to the Queen, and it has now on its rolls many officers belonging to the home forces. The Club numbers upwards of 1760 members, of whom generally about 800 are in England. The new building has been designed to accommodate over 1000 members. The classic facade next the new Club-house was built by Athenian Stuart for Lord Anson; and No.15 was the residence of Lady Francis, who lent the house to Caroline, Queen of George IV.

John Timbs, Curiosities of London, 1867

[ ... back to main menu for this book]

East India United Service Club, St. James’s-square.— Consists of gentlemen who are or have been commissioned officers in Her Majesty’s or the East Indian army or navy; members of the Indian civil, ecclesiastical, or medical services; judges of a high or civil court; members of a legislative council; or law officers of government in India. The members elect, and more than one black ball in ten excludes. The “entrance donation” Is £30, and “library donation” £1; subscription, for home members, £8 8s., absentee members, £1

Charles Dickens (Jr.), Dickens's Dictionary of London, 1879