[ ... back to main menu for this book]
St. James’s Club, 106, Piccadilly, W.—Ordinary members of this club are elected by ballot, but members of the corps diplomatique, of the English diplomatic service, and of the diplomatic establishment of the Foreign Office, may be admitted without ballot, under certain restrictions. The entrance fee is £26 5s.; the subscription £11 11s.; and carefully considered reductions are made in the case of members of the English diplomatic service who are employed abroad. The election is by ballet in committee; “six shall be a quorum, one black ball in nine, if repeated, and two above nine, shall exclude.” The club occupies the premises once tenanted by the defunct Coventry Club.
Charles Dickens (Jr.), Dickens's Dictionary of London, 1879