DULWICH GALLERY is open every day of the week except Fridays and Sundays. Without a ticket no person can be admitted, and no tickets are given in Dulwich. Tickets are to be obtained gratis of Henry Graves and Co., 6, Pall-Mall; Alderman Moon, Threadneedle-street; Messrs. Colnaghi and Co., Pall Mall East; Mr. Carpenter, Old Bond-street; Mr. Lloyd, 23, Harley-street; H. Leggatt and Co., Cornhill; Mr. Hurst, St. Paul's Churchyard; and Mr. Markby, Croydon, Surrey. Schools, and children under the age of fourteen, are not admitted. Hours of admission, from April to November, 10 to 5; from November to April, 11 to 3. This Gallery, containing the only collection freely accessible to the public, which affords an opportunity of studying the Dutch masters, was founded by Sir Francis Bourgeois, R.A. (d.1811), who left 354 pictures to the College, 10,000l. to erect and keep in repair a building for their reception, and 2,000l. to provide for the care of the pictures. Bourgeois asked John Philip Kemble where he should build a gallery for his pictures, and Kemble, an actor, recommended Alleyn's College, at Dulwich. The hint was taken, and the present Gallery attached to the College built in 1812, from the designs of Sir John Soane. The Murillos and Cuyps are especially fine.
Peter Cunningham, Hand-Book of London, 1850
[ ... back to main menu for this book]
Dulwich Gallery.—A fine collection of pictures, mostly by the ancient masters, bequeathed to Dulwich College for the use and enjoyment of the public, and open free daily, except Sunday, all the year round. The gallery is rich in works of Berchem Cuyp, Claude, N. Poussin, Teniers, Gainsborough, and Reynolds. (See - PAINTINGS AND SCULPTURE)— (See DULWICH.)
Charles Dickens (Jr.), Dickens's Dictionary of London, 1879