ERECTHEUM CLUB, ST. JAMES'S SQUARE, corner of YORK STREET. A kind of junior Athaenaeum, established by Sir John Dean Paul, Bart., in 183-, and deservedly celebrated for its good dinners. The club-house was formerly inhabited by Mr. Wedgewood, whose "ware" is so famous, and stands on the site of "Romney House," built for Henry Sydney, Earl of Romney, the handsome Sydney of De Grammont's Memoirs.
Peter Cunningham, Hand-Book of London, 1850
The Club, long extinct, was established by Sir John Dean, Bart., the banker, and became somewhat noted for its good dinners.
John Timbs, Curiosities of London, 1867