Victorian London - Directories - Entertainment and Recreation - Parks, Commons and Heaths - Green Park

The Green Park is so called from being almost, if not quite, a flat. It is particularly famous for a mud reservoir which adjoins Piccadilly. This elegant stone tank is occasionally filled with water, but is more usually seen applied to its original use, which is to ensure a continual supply of miasmata to the surrounding neighbourhood, and more particularly to the hackney-coach stand which has been humanely placed beside it.

Punch, Jan.-Jun. 1842

The Green Park is only separated by an iron railing from the northern side of St. James's Park, and extends westward to Hyde Park Corner, the line of communication being a fine ascent called Constitution Hill. This park adds greatly to the pleasantness both of St. James's and Buckingham Palaces, and the line of houses which overlook it on the east; among which are the handsome mansions of the Marquises of Camden and Salisbury, Earl Spencer, Sir Francis Burdett, Sir J. Lubbock, and others. The promenades here are very pleasant, but particularly so round i the basin, a fine sheet of water, which is supplied by the Chelsea Water-works. The entrance to this park from Piccadilly, which also forms one of the grand approaches to Buckingham Palace (of which, and of its grounds, a fine view is here obtained), is by a triumphal arch, - it is of the Corinthian order, and was erected from designs by Nash. On the northern front are four columns, two at each side of the arch, supporting a portico, the arch itself being adorned with six Corinthian pilasters: the southern front is exactly similar; the vaulted part in the centre is divided into compartments richly sculptured, and the gates adorned with the royal arms are of beautifully bronzed ironwork.

Mogg's New Picture of London and Visitor's Guide to it Sights, 1844

THE GREEN PARK  (sixty acres), formerly called the Upper Park, covers a quickly-rising ascent from St. James's Park to Piccadilly, south to north, and St. James's Place to Constitution Hill, east to west. The principal mansions on the eastern boundary, beginning at the St. James's entrance, are-Stafford House (Duke of Sutherland), Bridgewater House (Earl of Ellesmere), and Spencer House (Earl Spencer). No. 22 St. James's Place, a house with bow-windows, was the residence of the banker-poet, Samuel Rogers. In this Park was fought the duel between Lord Hervey (Queen Caroline's favourite counsellor, and Pope's Lord Fanny) and Pulteney, Earl of Bath.

Cruchley's London in 1865 : A Handbook for Strangers, 1865

[ ... back to main menu for this book]

Green Park lies on the south side of the western half of Piccadilly, and is nearly triangular in shape; its south-west side being bounded by Constitution-hill, between which and Grosvenor-place lie the private gardens of Buckingham Palace. The north-west corner is just opposite the southeast corner of Hyde-park. On the arch at the entrance to Constitution-hill stands the equestrian Statue of the great Duke of Wellington, in long cloak and cocked hat, probably the most stupendous jest ever perpetrated in the way of a public monument. Only privileged horsemen and carriages can pass down Constitution-hill. NEAREST Railway Station Victoria; Omnibus Route, Piccadilly and Grosvenor-place. 

Charles Dickens (Jr.), Dickens's Dictionary of London, 1879

GREEN PARK, PICCADILLY... An open park of 60 acres between Piccadilly and St. James's Park.

Reynolds' Shilling Coloured Map of London, 1895