GRILLION'S CLUB, of which the Fiftieth Anniversary was celebrated, May, 1863, by a banquet at the Clarendon, the Earl of Derby in the chair, was founded half a century since, by the Parliamentary men of the time as a neutral ground on which they might meet. Politics are strictly excluded from the Club: its name is derived from Grillion's Hotel, in Albemarle-street, at which the Club originally met. On Jan.30 1860, there was sold at Puttick and Simpson's a series of seventy-nine portraits of members of this Club, comprising statesmen, members of the Government, and other highly distinguished persons during the last half century. These portraits, all of which were private plates, were engraved by Lewis, after drawings by J. Slater and G. Richmond. There were also four duplicate portraits, a vignette title, Rules of the Club, and list of its members.
John Timbs, Curiosities of London, 1867