CITY CLUB, NEW, George-Yard, Lombard-street, intended for merchants in the City, was erected from a design by J.H.Rowley, architect, at the cost of 50,000l. : it is the property of a company of merchants, who reserve to themselves the power of admitting fresh members. The front is of Portland stone, and in the centre the columns and pilasters are of polished red granite. The frontage in George-yard is upwards of 100 feet, and there is an additional frontage and entrance in Bell-yard, Gracechurch-street. The club-house is approached from George-yard through a Doric portico and vestibule with granite columns and pilasters. The windows have carved key-stones, and fruits and flowers over the architraves. The frieze and cornice are also enriched. An agreeable novelty in decoration has been introduced by means of enamelled slate in panels, imitating malachite and other marble, on the staircase walls. The rooms are all decorated in gilding and colours, each having its own distinctive character as to colour.
John Timbs, Curiosities of London, 1867