PRINCE OF WALES THEATRE. Coventry-st. opened for the first time January 18, 1884, with "The Palace of Truth." This theatre was built for Mr. Edgar Bruce, from the designs and under the direction of Mr. C.J.Phipps, F.S.A. The building is lighted throughout by electricity, gas being retained in case of need. There is a spacious pit, eight rows of stalls, balcony, first circle, and gallery, with eight private boxes on each side the proscenium. The theatre succeeded, almost from the first, in becoming popular. NEAREST Ry.Stns. Charing +, Piccadilly (Underground Electric). Omnibus Rtes., Piccadilly and Haymarket; Cab Rank, Coventry-st.
Charles Dickens Jr. et al, Dickens Dictionary of London,
(no date; based on internal evidence)