Victorian London - Theatre and Shows - Theatres and Venues- Princess's Theatre

Princess's Theatre, The ... The performance here, which commence at 7, generally consist of English versions of foreign operas, followed by farces, burlettas, or ballets. Admission to the boxes, 4s.; pit, 2s.; gallery 1s.

The Princess's Theatre, in Oxford Street, recently erected from designs by Mr. T. Marsh Nelson, is an elegant structure. The audience part consists of four tiers of boxes, exclusive of the stage boxes, and a pit. It is constructed upon the plan of the best Italian theatres of the horse-shoe form, is decorated entirely in the renaissance style by French artists, and the ornaments from Paris in carton pierre are richly gilt. It is the only specimen of the Francis the First style of decoration in England. A chandelier, correspondent in style, composed of brass and glass, of Parisian manufacture, depends from the ceiling. The grand Concert Room of this establishment, elegantly decorated, is one of the largest in London, and the saloon, or minor Concert Room, though not so extensive, is nevertheless of noble proportions. The Theatre and Concert Rooms are calculated to contain about 3000 persons.

Mogg's New Picture of London and Visitor's Guide to it Sights, 1844

The PRINCESS'S THEATRE, Oxford Street, remarkable for its elegant interior, was built in 1830. Up to 1850 Mr. Maddox was the lessee, and produced here English opera, German opera, and the legitimate drama, with a substraturn of farce, burlesque, and ballet. From 1850 to 1859 it was conducted by Mr. and Mrs. Charles Kean, whose sumptuous Shakspearian revivals are not yet forgotten by London playgoers. It is now in the hands of Mr. A. Harris, whose management has been signalised by the introduction to the English boards of Mr. Fechter.
   
Class of Performance: Drama, burlesque, and farce.
   
Admission: Private boxes, 1l. 11s. 6d. to 21. 12s. 6d.; stalls, 6s.; dress circle, 5s. ; boxes, 4s. ; pit, 2s.; gallery, 1s. Doors open at half-past six; curtain rises at seven p.m.

Cruchley's London in 1865 : A Handbook for Strangers, 1865

Princess's, 73, Oxford-street; lessee, Mr. B. Webster. Drama and farce, occasionally tragedy.

Routledge's Popular Guide to London, [c.1873]

[ ... back to main menu for this book]

Princessís Theatre, Oxford-street, near Oxford-circus,ó A large theatre, memorable for the Shaksperian revivals of the late Mr. Charles Kean. Present specialty, strong drama and melodrama. NEAREST Railway Stations, Portland-road and Charing cross (Dist. and S.E.); Omnibus Route, Oxford-street.

Charles Dickens (Jr.), Dickens's Dictionary of London, 1879

see also Montagu Williams in Round London - click here

PRINCESS'S THEATRE, Oxford-st. The large theatre, memorable for the Shakespearean revivals of the late Mr. Charles Kean, was demolished in 1880, and rebuilt from the designs of Mr. C.J.Phipps. The new theatre was opened November 6, 1880, on which occasion Mr. Edwin Booth appeared as Hamlet, the American actor subsequently playing a round of legitimate parts during the following four or five months. After Mr. Booth's departure, the theatre was taken by Mr. Wilson Barrett, under whose management it has proved most successful, its speciality lying in melodrama of strong incidents and effects. The new Princess's, although a handsome theatre, did not meet with unqualified public approval, the extreme height of the auditorium, and the consequent steepness of the various circles, being considerably objected to. NEAREST Ry. Stns. Portland-rd (Met.) and Charing + (S.E.); Omnibus Rte. Oxford-st.; Cab Rank, Oxford-mkt.

Charles Dickens Jr. et al, Dickens Dictionary of London, c.1908 edition
(no date; based on internal evidence)

EDITOR'S NOTES:

Opened in 1828 as the Royal Bazaar, British Diorama and Exhibition of Works of Art, burnt down in 1829. Re-built in 1830 as the Queen's Bazaar. The theatre was built in 1836 and originally intended to be called the Court Theatre, but became the Princess's Theatre when finally opened in 1840. Became the Royal Princess's Theatre in 1850 and demolished 1880. Reopened 1880 under same name and closed in 1902 [see Lost Theatres of London by Raymond Mander and Joe Mitchenson for more information]