Victorian London - Entertainment and Recreation - Theatre and Shows - Theatres - St. James's Theatre

The St. James's Theatre, in King Street, St. James's, was erected from designs by Mr. Samuel Beazley. The exterior presents an elevation in accordance with the recent improvements in its vicinity; and the interior, which consists of two rows of boxes, a gallery, and pit, is sumptuously and elegantly decorated: it is chiefly devoted to operatic representations. The performances commence at seven.

Mogg's New Picture of London and Visitor's Guide to it Sights, 1844

JAMES'S (ST.) THEATRE. A small neat theatre, on the south side of King-street, St. James's, built by Beazley for Braham, the singer. During the summer it is usually appropriated to the performances of a French company of actors, and in the height of the London season is well frequented.

Peter Cunningham, Hand-Book of London, 1850

ST. JAMES'S THEATRE, King Street, St. James's Street, was built for Braham, the singer. For many seasons it was occupied by Mr. Mitchell, with an admirable French company. It then passed into the hands of Mr. Alfred Wigan, the late lessee, who raised it to an equality with the best-conducted theatres in London. Present manager, Mr. G. Vining.
   
Class of Performance: Comedy, melodrama, burlesque, and farce.
   
Admission: Private boxes, 1l. 11s. 6d. to 21. 12s. 6d.; pit stalls, 6s.; boxes, 4s.; upper boxes, 3s.; pit, 2s.; gallery, 6d.. Doors open at seven; curtain rises at half-past seven p.m.

Cruchley's London in 1865 : A Handbook for Strangers, 1865

[ ... back to main menu for this book]

St. Jamesís Theatre, King-street, St. Jamesís.óA medium-sized house at the back of Pall Mall; built by Braham the singer. For many years occupied during the season by a French company. At present undergoing alterations, and with no particular specialty. NEAREST Railway Station, St. Jamesís-park; Omnibus Routes, Piccadilly, Regent-street, and Strand; Cab Rank, St. Jamesís. street.

Charles Dickens (Jr.), Dickens's Dictionary of London, 1879

EDITOR'S NOTES:

Opened in 1835, renamed the Prince's Theatre in 1840 but back to St. James's Theatre in 1842. Other names included Theatre Royal, St. James's, and Royal St. James's Theatre. Reopened in 1879 and also 1900 following some rebuilding in both cases. [see Lost Theatres of London by Raymond Mander and Joe Mitchenson for more information]