Suriey Theatre, The ... is open all the year; performances commence at half-past 6. Admission to the boxes 2s ; pit, 1s. ; gallery, 6d.
The Surrey Theatre, Blackfriars' Road, formerly the Royal Circus, was originally built for equestrian performances, in conjunction with stage representation, and first opened by the celebrated Charles Dibdin and Mr. Hughes, in 1781 ; and was for some time conducted by them and others with varied success. Having been destroyed by fire in 1805, it was shortly after rebuilt from a design by Signor Cabanel. The exterior presents a pleasing elevation; and the interior, beautifully formed, has recently been elegantly decorated. After passing through the hands of various proprietors, in the year 1814 it was conducted by Mr. T. Dibdin, a dramatist of some celebrity, with great success, whose celebrated piece, "The Heart of Mid Lothian," admirably represented, was nightly performed for more than one season. It was, upon the retirement from Drury Lane of that unfortunate but excellent actor the late Mr. Elliston, conducted for some time by him with considerable success, and who here closed with his life his theatrical career. Mrs. Davidge is the present proprietor. The performances, chiefly melo-dramatic, consisting of pieces peculiarly adapted to the capabilities of the company, include also a variety of amusements, and commence at half-past six.
Mogg's New Picture of London and Visitor's Guide to it Sights, 1844
SURREY THEATRE (THE) in BLACKFRIARS ROAD, opened Nov. 7th, 1782, by Messrs. Hughes and Dibdin, in opposition to the elder Astley. It was originally called the Royal Circus, and was long an unsuccessful speculation. The interior was rebuilt in 1799, and the whole theatre burnt Aug. 12th, 1805. The new theatre (the present) was opened Easter Monday, 1806.
Peter Cunningham, Hand-Book of London, 1850
SURREY THEATRE, Blackfriars Bridge Road, originally built in 1762. It was
afterwards known as "The Royal Circus. In 1805 it was burnt, and rebuilt in
1806, at a cost of 12,000l. It was again destroyed by fire January 30,
1865. Lieut.-Col. Temple West, to whom the greater part of the land belongs, has
entrusted the re-building of the theatre to John Ellis, Esq., Architect, of
Whitefriars. It is to be completed in the course of the present year.
Class of Performance: Legitimate drama, melodrama, farce, burlesque, and pantomime.
Admission: Boxes, 2s. ; pit, 1s.; gallery, 6d. Doors open - at half-past six; curtain rises at seven p.m.
Cruchley's London in 1865 : A Handbook for Strangers, 1865
Surrey, New, 124 Blackfriars-road. Melodrama, farce, and pantomime, occasionally tragedy, comedy and opera.
Routledge's Popular Guide to London, [c.1873]
[ ... back to main menu for this book]
Surrey Theatre, Blackfriars-road.-—The principal Surrey-side theatre, standing just at the junction of the great roads from Westminster, Waterloo, and Blackfriars bridges. Specialty, melodrama, farce, and pantomime. NEAREST Railway Stations, Borough-road (London, Chatham, & Dover) and Blackfriars (Metropolitan); Omnibus Routes, Blackfriars - road, Waterloo-road, and Westminster-bridge-road.
Charles Dickens (Jr.), Dickens's Dictionary of London, 1879