UNIVERSITY CLUB HOUSE, SUFFOLK STREET and PALL MALL EAST, was built by William Wilkins, R. A., and J. P. Gandy, and opened Feb. 13th, 1826. The members belong to the two Universities of Oxford and Cambridge. Entrance-fee, 25 guineas; annual subscription, 6 guineas.
Peter Cunningham, Hand-Book of London, 1850
The UNITED UNIVERSITY CLUB (for members of the two sister universities) is situated at the corner of Suffolk Street, Pall Mall East, and was erected from the designs of Messrs. Wilkins and Gand, in 1825-6. It numbers 1000 members; 500 from each university. Entrance fee, 26l. 5s.; annual subscription, 6l. 6s.
Cruchley's London in 1865 : A Handbook for Strangers, 1865
[ ... back to main menu for this book]
United University Club, 24, Suffolk - street. — For 500 members of the University of Oxford and 500 of the University of Cambridge. The members elect by ballot, one black ball in ten excludes. Entrance fee, £31 10s.; annual subscription, £8 8s.
Charles Dickens (Jr.), Dickens's Dictionary of London, 1879