WALLACE COLLECTION (THE), Hertford House, Manchester-sq. - Bequeathed by the late Lady Wallace in 1897 to the nation, and opened in 1900, this treasure house is well worth a visit, for it consists of a splendid collection of pictures, bronzes, porcelains, miniatures and many other rare works of art, collected by the third and fourth Marquises of Hertford, and augmented by Sir Richard Wallace, to whom it had been previously bequeathed. As a picture gallery it most certainly ranks as one of the finest in Europe, containing as it does some of the finest expositions of the masters of the French school of the eighteenth century, as well as masterpieces of the English, Dutch, Spanish and Italian schools. The Sèvres porcelain is unrivalled outside Windsor Castle, and the arms and armour include the most exquisite pieces of the Nieuweikerke, Debruge and Meyrick collections. There are in all twenty two rooms, details of which will be found in the guides on sale. The collection is open to the public free on Wednesdays, Thursdays Saturdays. and Bank Holidays, from 10 a.m. till 6 p.m. during the summer months, closing at 4 p.m, and sometimes 5 p.m. during the winter. On Mondays, the opening is 12 noon and on Sundays, from April until October, 2p.m. NEAREST Ry. Stns., Bond- st (Central London), and Baker-st (Met. and Underground Electric); Omnibus Rtes., Oxford-st and Baker-st.
Dickens Jr. et al, Dickens Dictionary of London, c.1908 edition
(no date; based on internal evidence)