WHITE'S. A celebrated Club-house, Nos. 37 and 38, ST. JAMES'S STREET, over against Crockford's; originally White's Chocolate House, under which name it was established circ. 1698 on the west side of the present street, five doors from the bottom. The first White's was destroyed by fire, April 28th, 1733, at which time the house was kept by a person of the name of Arthur. ... Arthur died in June, 1761, and was succeeded by Robert Mackreth, who married Mary Arthur, the only child of the former proprietor. ... From Mackreth the property passed, in 1784, to John Martindale, and in 1812 to Mr. Ragget, the father of present proprietor. The front of the present house was designed to James Wyatt.
Peter Cunningham, Hand-Book of London, 1850
WHITES, 38 St. James's Street, near Piccadilly, originated in a chocolate house, founded by one White, in
1698-1700, and converted into a private gaming-club about
1720. "White's Chocolate House, near St. James's Palace,
was the famous gaming-house, where most of the nobility
had meetings and a society" (vide Cole's Mss.). It retained
its evil reputation until a comparatively recent period.
Its 650 members are chiefly of the Tory party. Their annual subscription is 11l. 11s. Entrance fee, 11l. 11s.
Cruchley's London in 1865 : A Handbook for Strangers, 1865