The WHITTINGTON CLUB, established in 1847, occupies spacious buildings in Arundel Street, Strand, on the site of the old Crown and Anchor tavern, one of Dr. Johnson's favourite hostelries. The club mainly owes its existence to the exertions of the late Douglas Jerrold and his friends, and is designed to afford the principal advantages of a "West End Club," at a sufficiently moderate rate to meet the views of members of the middle class. It has also an educational character. Lectures on various topics, evening classes for languages, drawing, and music, and literary and artistic conversaziones, are maintained in connexion with it. The subscription is 2l. 2s. per annum.
The WHITTINGTON, Arundel Street, Strand, was formed in 1847, and is both a cheap club and a literary institute.
Cruchley's London in 1865 : A Handbook for Strangers, 1865
see also Crown and Anchor - click here