THE EEL-PIE (OR SLUICE) HOUSE, HIGHBURY
This tavern on the New River, between Highbury and Hornsey Wood House, was
well known to Cockney visitors from early in the nineteenth century until its
demolition about 1867.* (*The site is near the filter beds of the New River
It was famous for its tea and hot rolls, but still more for its excellent pies made of eels, which were popularly supposed to be natives of Hugh Myddelton's stream, though they came in reality from the coast of Holland.
Warwick Wroth, Cremorne and the later London Gardens, 1907