MONTPELIER TEA GARDENS, WALWORTH
These gardens, attached to the Montpelier House tavern, came into existence in the later years of the eighteenth century. . . . In the first thirty years of the nineteenth century the place had considerable local reputation as a tea-garden, and was noted for its maze. It did not become extinct till the end of the fifties. . . . The gardens were to the West of the present Walworth Road, a little to the south-west of Princes Street. The Montpelier tavern and the Walworth Palace of Varieties (No.18 Montpelier Street) is on part of the site.
Warwick Wroth, Cremorne and the later London Gardens, 1907