NEW GLOBE PLEASURE-GROUNDS, MILE END ROAD
The New Globe Tavern, No.359 Mile End Road, was - and is (though somewhat altered) - a substantial building, with a fine golden globe still keeping its balance on the roof. From the twenties or thirties till the sixties it had some spacious grounds in the rear, entered from an archway beside the tavern. These grounds contained fine trees, and were prettily laid out with many fountains, statues and rustic boxes. On the west of grounds was the Regent's Canal, and the whistling and puffing of the Eastern Counties Railway in the background were, for a time, looked on as amusing novelties.
Warwick Wroth, Cremorne and the later London Gardens, 1907