from The Illustrated London News, 1842
THE UNIVERSAL HALL OF COMMERCE.
The Hall of Commerce, in Threadneedle Street, is the work of private enterprise, erected by Mr. Moxhay, a biscuit-baker of the city, at a cost of 60,0001. It is a very remarkable and handsome edifice, and every way worthy to be the theatre of the commercial action of the first city in the world. The whole was designed by its spirited proprietor, and erected under the superintendence of himself and son. The exterior is simply elegant, as is the interior, particularly the principal room, a noble apartment, which, from its amplitude of space and admirable proportions, its size being 130 feet long by 44 feet wide, and 50 feet high, may justly be deemed one of the finest rooms in the metropolis. This, if we except a sculptured panel, admirably executed in has-relief, its bold cornice beautifully carved, Corinthian columns, and coved ceiling, is devoid of ornament, and wearing altogether an air of broad and dignified plainness. Its sides, as at present finished, however, present a vacuity, that fresco painting or some style of simple decoration would very materially improve. The Universal Hall of Commerce is intended to concentrate under one roof all matters relating to trade and commerce, whether English or foreign; and in addition to the spacious hall of assembly above described, contains a noble reading room and rooms of smaller dimensions, to which subscribers may retire for the transaction of business of a confidential or private nature.
Mogg's New Picture of London and Visitor's Guide to it Sights, 1844