Victorian London - Food and Drink - Coffee Houses / Coffee Rooms - Slaughter's Coffee House

SLAUGHTER'S COFFEE HOUSE. A famous coffee-house at the upper end of the west side of St. Martin's-lane, three doors from Newport-street, co called after Thomas Slaughter, the landlord by whom it was established in the year 1692 ... A second Slaughter's (New Slaughter's, as it was called) was established in the same street about 1760, when the original establishment adopted the name of "Old Slaughter's," by which designation it was known till within a few years of the final demolition of the house to make way for the new avenue between Long-acre and Leicester-square made 1843-44. 

Peter Cunningham, Hand-Book of London, 1850