Victorian London - Health and Hygiene - Hospitals - Charing Cross Hospital

CHARING CROSS HOSPITAL, WEST STRAND. In one year (1849) the committee relieved upwards of 9000 necessitous persons, of whom although many were recommended by subscribers, much the greater part were admitted without any other recommendation than the sympathy which their necessities and sufferings excited. Upwards of 1100 were admitted in one year within the wards. Annual revenue, about 2500l.

Peter Cunningham, Hand-Book of London, 1850


CHARING CROSS HOSPITAL, Agar Street, West Strand, was established in 1818. The present building was erected in 1831. Its objects are, for the reception of the more helpless and destitute, and for the relief of the sick poor at their own homes. Since its foundation, 350,000 patients have been relieved, at an annual cost for the last ten year of 3000l.

Cruchley's London in 1865 : A Handbook for Strangers, 1865


CHARING-CROSS HOSPITAL, Agar-street, was commenced by Decimus Burton, as a portion of the West-Strand Improvements, in 1831; when the first stone was laid, Sept.  15, with Masonic solemnity, by the Duke of Sussex, Grand Master of the Freemasons. The Charity, founded in 1818, comprises a Dispensary and Casualty Hospital, being the eighth established in the metropolis, the population of which had doubled since the seventh Hospital was instituted. The architecture is Grecian, and the circular termination of the plan well accords with the form of the site. Although upwards of 1000 in-patients and 17,000 out have been treated in one year, the annual average expenditure of the establishment is stated at only  2506l.

John Timbs, Curiosities of London, 1867