Victorian London - Health and Hygiene - Hospitals - Queen Charlotte's Hospital

Queen Charlotte's Lying-in Hospital, near Lisson Grove, for the reception of married and unmarried women, and attendance upon others at their own habitations. There are also various other charities that afford similar relief to poor married women at their own habitations, besides Dispensaries for giving advice and furnishing medicines gratuitously to the poor; Two Rupture Societies, Two Infirmaries for the Eye an Hospital for French Protestants and a Sea Bathing Infirmary, the hospital of which is at Margate.

Mogg's New Picture of London and Visitor's Guide to it Sights, 1844


QUEEN CHARLOTTE'S LYING-IN HOSPITAL was originally established in 1752 in St. George's-row, near Tyburn turnpike, whence it was removed to Bayswater in 1791; and in 1810, to Lisson-green; the Hospital was rebuilt in 1857. This excellent charity has been patronized by Queen Charlotte, the Duke of Sussex, Queen Adelaide, and every member of the Royal family. It affords an asylum for indigent females during childbirth, as well as to out-patients, especially to the wives of soldiers or sailors; penitent patients are admitted once, but in no instance a second time.

John Timbs, Curiosities of London, 1867