FRENCH HOSPITAL, OLD STREET, ST. LUKE'S, founded by the families of the French Refugees of the Edict of Nantes. The list of governors includes the names of all the principal refugee families. There is no burying-ground attached.
Peter Cunningham, Hand-Book of London, 1850
The FRENCH PROTESTANT HOSPITAL, Bath Street, City Road, has, as its name indicates, a limited sphere of operation. Its charter of incorporation was granted in 1718.
Cruchley's London in 1865 : A Handbook for Strangers, 1865
FRENCH PROTESTANT HOSPITAL, Victoria Park, South Hackney, was built in 1866, in the pure French domestic style of the early part of the sixteenth century, corresponding to our Tudor; R. L. Roumieu, architect. It is 200 feet long, and stands on three acres of pleasure-ground; it has 60 inmates, and a chapel for 120 persons. The hospice owes its origin to a bequest of M. Gastigny, who held an appointment under William III., and dying in 1708, left 1000l. towards founding a permanent home and place of temporary relief for poor French Protestants and their descendants resident in England. To this fund the wealthier French Protestants contributed liberally, and premises were built in a bye-lane leading from Old-street, St. Luke's, to Islington, now Bath-street, City-road. Here the hospital remained until the removal to Victoria Park. The old buildings in Bath-street are now the City of London Middle-Class School.
John Timbs, Curiosities of London, 1867