KING'S COLLEGE HOSPITAL, PORTUGAL STREET, LINCOLN'S INN FIELDS, is connected with the medical school of King's College, and supported by voluntary contributions. Annual subscribers have the privilege of recommending one in-patient and two out-patients for each guinea subscribed, and contributors by donations have the same privilege for every 10 guineas presented to the institution. Annual subscribers of 3 guineas, or donors of 30 guineas, are Governors of the Hospital. King's College Hospital is surrounded by a population of nearly 400,000, of whom about 20,000 receive relief from the Hospital annually, and in one year as many as 363 poor married women have been attended in confinement at their own houses. The Hospital, containing 120 beds, is visited daily.
Peter Cunningham, Hand-Book of London, 1850
KING'S COLLEGE HOSPITAL, 35 Carey Street and Portugal Street, Lincoln's Inn Fields, has recently been enlarged and rebuilt in a very effective manner, so as to insure a greater amount of relief to sufferers in the dense neighbourhood where, since 1839, it has been established. It is superintended by the medical officers of King's College. Its income, from voluntary subscriptions, does not exceed one-fourth of the amount required to maintain the hospital in full efficiency, which is about 7000l. per annum. For the remainder, the committee are dependent upon legacies and the free gifts of friends. It yearly relieves 1500 in-patients and 37,000 out-patients. The new buildings have cost, we believe, upwards of 100,000l., which has all been raised by voluntary contributions.
Cruchley's London in 1865 : A Handbook for Strangers, 1865
KING'S COLLEGE HOSPITAL, Carey-street, Lincoln's-inn-fields, was established in 1839 for the sick poor, for affording practical instruction to the medical students of King's College, under their own professors. The building of a new Hospital, by subscription, was commenced June 18, 1852, when the first stone was laid by the Archbishop of Canterbury: the wards are very spacious, light, and airy; with ventilation by opposite windows and open fire-places, without artificial aid; and the arrangements for teaching include an operating theatre and chapel, dispensary, laboratory, &c.
John Timbs, Curiosities of London, 1867