MARYLEBONE AND PADDINGTON HOSPITAL, Cambridge-place, was commenced in 1845, when, June 28 (Coronation-day), the first stone was laid by Prince Albert; the site was originally a reservoir of the Grand Junction Water-works. The Hospital, opened in 1850, is of red brick, similar to Chelsea Hospital: it is warmed and ventilated by the circulation of tempered atmospheric air, and the withdrawal of the foul air from the wards; there are shafts for conveying the food from the kitchen and medicines from the laboratory, besides other novel mechanical applications. Hon. architect, Mr. Hopper. The present foundation comprehends three-fourths of the whole plan.
John Timbs, Curiosities of London, 1867