Victorian London - Charities - Royal Maternity Charity

ROYAL MATERNITY CHARITY (Office, 17, Little Knightrider-street, Doctors' Commons) provides advice and good nurses for delivering poor married women at their own homes in Eastern London; and the cases annually average nearly 3500.
    This institution was originally founded as "the Lying-in Charity," in 1768. The Prince of Wales, when but five years old, being nominated president, a donation of 500l. was made in his name; thenceforth he contributed annually 20l. George IV. became president in 1818; and from the time of his Regency to his death, contributed to the Hospital fund 1800l.

source: John Timbs, Curiosities of London, 1867