UNIVERSITY COLLEGE HOSPITAL, UNIVERSITY STREET, ST. PANCRAS, (in connection with University College), was founded in 1833, for the relief of poor sick and maimed persons, and the delivery of poor married women, and for furthering the objects of the College, by affording improved means of instruction in medicine and surgery to the medical students of the College, under the superintendence of its Professors. The first stone of the north wing (Alfred Ainger, architect) was laid by Lord Brougham, May 20th, 1846. Subscribers of 1 guinea annually are entitled to recommend four outpatients; and subscribers of 3 guineas, or donors of 30, are entitled to recommend three in and six out-patients yearly.
Peter Cunningham, Hand-Book of London, 1850
UNIVERSITY COLLEGE, or NORTH LONDON HOSPITAL, Gower Street, was founded in 1833, in connection with University College. It contains 120 beds, and relieves nearly 20,000 patients yearly; annual income, upwards of 8000l.
Cruchley's London in 1865 : A Handbook for Strangers, 1865