DACRE'S ALMS HOUSES or EMANUEL HOSPITAL, TUTHILL STREET. Erected pursuant to the will (Dec. 20 1594) of Anne, Lady Dacre, widow of Gregory, the last Lord Dacre of the South, and sister of Thomas Sackville, Lord Buckhurst and Earl of Dorset, the poet "towards the relief of aged people, and bringing up of children in virtue and good and laudable acts in the same Hospital." The charter of incorporation is dated Dec.17th, 1669. George, Lord Dacre, died Sept. 25th, 1594, and Anne, his wife, on the14th of May, 1595. They are buried in Chelsea Old Church, where there is a stately monument to their memories. On the death in 1623, of the only surviving executor of Lady Dacre, the guardianship of the Hospital descended, by charter of incorporation, to the Lord Mayor and Aldermen of the City of London, under whose superintendence it still remains.
Peter Cunningham, Hand-Book of London, 1850