The Inner Temple is situated to the east of Middle Temple Gate; it extends from Fleet Street to the Thames, and contains a fine 7 quadrangular area, a cloister, a large garden, and spacious walks. The ball and chapel are built with Portland stone, and were re- paired in 1819; the former is decorated with the story of Pegasus, painted by Sir James Thornhill, and with portraits of King William, Queen Mary, and Lords Coke and Littleton. The range of houses to the east of the hall was rebuilt of stone, in the Gothic style, from designs by Mr. Smirke, in 1829. The paved terrace in front of them forms an excellent parade. The gardens, which extend along the bank of the Thames, form a delightful promenade, commanding fine views of Waterloo and Blackfriar's Bridges, and of Somerset House. They are open to the public at six o'clock in the evening, for two or three of the summer months; commencing the first week in June.
The Middle Temple is more contracted; but the hall is a spacious and elegant room: here, too, are a small basin and fountain in the middle of the paved court; a neat chapel and a garden. The libraries of both temples contain some very valuable manuscripts and law books.
Mogg's New Picture of London and Visitor's Guide to it Sights, 1844