THAVIE'S INN, No. 57, HOLBORN. An Inn of Chancery appertaining to Lincoln's Inn, but sold by that society in 1771 to a Mr. Middleton. It derives its name from John Thavie, of the Armourers' Company, who in 1348 bequeathed certain houses in Holborn towards the fabric of the adjoining church of St. Andrew, still possessed by the parish, and returning a rental of 1300l. a year.
Peter Cunningham, Hand-Book of London, 1850