CASTLE BAYNARD (WARD OF). One of the 26 wards of London, and "so named of an old castle there" (Stow p.135) [see Baynard Castle.] General Boundaries. - N., Upper end of Warwick-lane in one part; Paternoster-row in another; S., the Thames; E., Paul's Wharf and Old'Change; W., Ave-Maria-lane, Creed-lane, and St.Andrew's-hill. Stow enumerates four churches:- St. Benet-by-Paul's-Wharf; St. Andrew's-in-the-Wardrobe; St. Mary Magdalene, Old Fish-street; St. Gregory-by-St.Paul's (destroyed in the Great Fire, and not rebuilt; Queen Anne's statue in St. Paul's Church-yard stands where it stood). Puddle Dock, Herald's College, and Doctor's Commons, are in this ward.
Peter Cunningham, Hand-Book of London, 1850