[ ... back to main menu for this book]
Clothworkers' Company (The), an offshoot of the Drapers and Merchant Taylors, was originally incorporated by Edward IV. as "The Fraternity of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary of the Shearmen of London." In Queen Elizabeth's reign the company was reincorporated as the Clothworkers. The present hall, which stands in Mincing-lane, was completed in 1870, and is about as gorgeous a building as its admirers could wish. The effects produced by the judicious blending of various-coloured marble, and the ingenious designs of the decorator illustrating the wealth and commerce of the nation, are the most conspicuous ornaments. Two gilded statues of deceased monarchs, which stand in the hall, could well be spared; but to these relics of a bygone art the company, we are informed, is singularly attached. In one of the reception rooms is a cartoon by Mr. Wm. Beverley representing a young apprentice saving a maiden from drowning in the river Thames. The lad's name was Osborne. His gallantry brought him the favour of master, who took him into partnership, and gave him the rescued daughter for a wife. Osborne was the ancestor of the present Duke of Leeds. Samuel Pepys was a member of the Clothworkers' Company, and gave it a silver loving-cup. The free schools belonging to the company are in the Isle Man. and at Sutton Valance.
Charles Dickens (Jr.), Dickens's Dictionary of London, 1879